Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Pregnancy.... And Sickness

     I really thought I was doing well! I made it almost through the first trimester, flu season, anything that could hit me!
     Until yesterday.
     Apparently, I was not immune, because after my husband and I returned from our second OB appointment, I was feeling not okay. Swollen everything in my throat and head, achey pains... not cool. Basically, I crashed on the couch and the man in the recliner until we both woke up around 11:00 and decided to crawl into bed.
      Long story short, I had to remove myself from the bedroom very early this morning to attempt to tend my very sore throat, which resulted in dry heaving and a curled up Emily on the couch until my dearest's alarm went off for work.
     Now that I am feeling slightly better, I'm recapping on all the things I discovered you CAN'T have while pregnant. I try to stick to as many herbal/natural remedies as possible, but those are even hard to dance around! Needless to say, of the few (say, 3?) drugs and herbal supplements in my medicine cabinet, I've settled for some extra Vitamin C and water. My lovely mother brought me Ricola cough drops (SO wonderful), EmergenC's, and some leftover chicken pot pie, so I've been staying alive! My husband is die to bring me some tea from the store, and I'm praying that by tomorrow, I'll be feeling TONS better.
     It is amazing how you can start off a day productively, hear your baby's heartbeat for the first time, let your husband cry on your shoulder, adventure into a creepy mausoleum, and then end it on the couch, completely wrecked and wondering if you'll survive.
     Well, I wasn't quite that worried. But it was a new thing waking up feeling terrible and having a little person inside you to tend to, and not just yourself. Even in the moments when I may not be totally excited about this whole "little person growing inside me thing", I'm still automatically thinking about their well-being through this time when we're attached to each other.
      I praise God for the opportunity we had yesterday to hear our sweet baby for the first time and know that he/she has made it through the first trimester totally healthy! Even through my hesitancy and worry, I thank God for what He's made - a new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment