Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day 62: Groomsmen Attire

   When I first began my wedding planning, my motto was this: Simple is best.
   I thought I would save myself so much hassle by keeping things simple. I quickly found out that keeping things simple is a LOT harder than you would think, and even those things that do stay simple can be difficult.
   For example, finding my groomsmen suitable pants.
   Our wedding is going to be in the middle of July. We want a structured, and yet semi-casual feel to the day. So we decided on something simple for our men. Light grey dress pants, white button-down shirts with the sleeves rolled up, a yellow bow tie, and grey suspenders. Easy peasy right?
   WRONG.
   First off, did you know that unless you go to a specialty shop, men's departments carry a very small collection of bow ties, and they're rarely solids.
   Secondly, did you know that light grey men's dress pants DON'T EXIST?!?!?!?!
   Tad and I spent months searching the internet, walking through stores, TRYING to find light grey pants for the guys. I wasn't even being super picky about the color! I had a general range to stay within, but I was leaving plenty of wiggle room. But no, everything was patterned, obviously or subtly; everything was too dark; everything was sold out; everything was way over our desired price limit; the sizes weren't right; what we were looking for DIDN'T EXIST.
   It also didn't help that we were trying to find pants in a 32x36 for one of our groomsmen, until we realized that size virtually is nonexistent and his pants are normally hard to come by/specially ordered.
   Well praise God, last week we finally found pants, in the PERFECT color to complement Tad's attire (which is a darker grey, and a vest in lieu of suspenders), lightweight fabric, and my mom, being an ingenious seamstress, found a way to get around the 32x36 dilemma.
   Now, I'm in the process of getting the guys to all try on their pants, as it seems they made run bigger than expected. This oughta be interesting.
   I also may have my mom make the bow ties, since I believe finding them under a gazillion dollars and in the right color will be nearly impossible.
   So for all you brides out there thinking what you want will either cost you a fortune, or doesn't even exist, keep praying. You may have to compromise a bit, but I think in the end, you'll be happy with the result :]

No comments:

Post a Comment